Sunday, December 4, 2016

Leadership Philosophy. HRDO 590


I've spent some time in my new role getting to know people within the organization. Throughout these informal conversations I've learned about where the organization was, where it is now, and where it wants to be in the future. My role was long sought out by my manager and her boss because of the need for learning and development within the organization. Naturally, when I started people really wanted to know what my background was, what my thoughts were about leadership, and my plans for all learning and development. Prior to creating the framework, I purposefully gathered information so that I'd be able to at lease describe my philosophy for learning and development and what that meant for the current leadership team. 

My leadership is as follows: a leader creates the vision for the organization. The way that leaders implements any changes needed for the vision is through people development. Understanding that it's people, then processes, that encourage successful change is key. How does a leader motivate employees? By serving them. By leading in such a way, and by example, that describes a selfless leader willing to give themselves wholeheartedly by teaching and training the next emerging leader to be better than the current leadership in place. 

1 comment:

  1. Briana, loved this post because you have hit upon two critical points here. The first is the "understanding that it's people, then processes, that encourage successful change". The importance of people is lost to so many leaders probably because they are no longer in touch with people at the front lines. Leaders start believing that people are replaceable and don't realize how much wealth of knowledge walks out of the door with a person who has been with the organization & got trained in its ways. It's great to see that as a leader & L&D professional you realize the value of people. The second critical point in your post about the leader as servant is fascinating and many leaders today lack the humility to fulfill that role so your desire to motivate people by serving is truly inspiring! I wish you all the best in your leadership journey. --- Antara

    ReplyDelete