Sunday, October 9, 2016

Inspiring a Shared Vision: Share the vision for the future of your organization. HRDO590

           

I am a visionary by nature. What is a visionary? Webster dictionary says, "A visionary leader is one who thinks about or plans the future with imagination and wisdom." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Albert Einstein, Nelson Mandela, John Rockefeller, Warren Buffet, and Steve Jobs are all great examples of visionary leaders. I encourage you, the reader, to think of examples of visionary leaders, what made them successful and why.

I had the opportunity to speak with a young girl at the organization I work for. She currently works in the Development office and helps to obtain grants and additional funding for projects the organization wants to promote. She sought me out for lunch because she noticed that I was the "new girl" in my department. Based off of my position, she was eager to share her knowledge and learn about my role and vision for success. I think it's appropriate to mention she is a millennial. The reason I mention this is because the organization I work for comprises several people that have worked there for 20+ years. There is a new wave of leaders coming to work for the organization whom are younger and do not have as much time invested. As we engaged in conversation I explained to her my passion for training and development and professional development. I was able to share with her my ultimate goal of setting our organization as the platform for training and development in the industry. She then mentioned her desire to help develop for the future. She shared with me that she wants to engage in a corporate culture that fosters more professional development and creates a feeling of connection. She envisions other organizations seeking to learn about our processes to lead change in our industry. One thing that stuck out to me during our conversation was her desire to recruit young leaders into the organization. I can identify with this vision because the next wave of leaders will be young and there's a desperate need for succession planning. This is certainly an area of interest for myself to develop processes for succession planning. 

This conversation let me know that my goals, my vision, and values align with where the organization is and where it's headed.




2 comments:

  1. hello Jeff
    first of all, i like your page lay out its wonderful you need to teach me.
    second, i agree with your strategies of leadership styles and how you work to improve yourself at work place, i really admire people like you who like to change and to be always where they should be, i like how you keep track of your progress to know what you already have achieved and what you need to achieve other goals. for what i have read you will be strong and successful leader.
    good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soso,

    Thank you for your comment! I appreciate the positive outlook on leadership.

    ReplyDelete